IRP and Trip Permits

There’s no home like home. If you’re not doing business locally, your travels will take you out of the province or state where you’re registered for your business vehicle. In the majority of cases you’ll have to register to the International Registration Plan (IRP) or obtain a temporary trip permit.

IRP Agreement

It covers interstate vehicles that have a gross mass or weight registered of more than 26,000 pounds, and combinations that have an aggregate weight or registered weight greater than 26,000 pounds, as well as vehicles that have three or more axles, regardless of the weight (counting wheels on the power or truck unit only). ).

IRP Applicant

After an IRP applicant pays registration fee for their area of base they are issued allocated plates and cab cards that include all areas where vehicles are allowed to be operated. The fee is distributed (apportioned) among the localities in which the vehicles are operating -they are split by the proportion of miles that the vehicle(s) use within each region.

IRP Application

If you are applying for an IRP You will be able to decide in which states you’ll operate in. If this is your first time applying for an IRP or you’re entering new states, the estimated mileage needs to be recorded. Don’t know what to do? Do not guess as that can be expensive. Instead, the Celtic Fee Estimator ( is available to help estimate the fees associated with registering apportioned vehicles based on various factors, including the distance associated with the jurisdictions traveled. It serves as an “benchmark” to rely upon to assess the accuracy of fees calculated.

Registration Fee

The registration cost for an apportioned plate differ based on the base state, vehicle’s gross weight, and the states that you’d like to apply for. Typically , the state fees for an 80,000-pound vehicle that covers all lower 48 states are between $1,500 and $2,000.

What happens if you take an apportioned car in service?

Not Registered

It’s possible that you could save money by purchasing permit for trips. As per International Registration Plan, Inc. If you’re planning to travel multiple times from the boundaries of your home base is logical to divide your travel expenses into this particular jurisdiction. If you’re on the other side it’s only necessary to leave the state once in a time, you may be able to obtain temporary permits for fuel and trips for the state into which the crossing will be. States typically come with combination permits for fuel and trip for applicants to make the process easier. Some states limit the amount of temporary trip permits you can acquire within a single year period. Be sure to verify before you make a final choice.

Vehicles with IRP

As per J. J. Keller The answer lies to state-by-state regulations. Certain states, but not allcould require apportioned plates in order to operate vehicles within their borders. It’s all about the destination you’re traveling to and the method of getting there.

More Information

For more details on IRP regulations and how to register, go to International Registration Plan, Inc. ( For help with registration (for a fee) visit Coast 2 Coast Trucking Permits (; here you’ll also find a full list of permit offices and specific regulations and requirements associated with all states and Canadian provinces.

It is important to take care since each state has its own guidelines.

  • Waiving permit for relief movement only.
  • Certain states have waived weight and size permit fees or procedures for emergencies.

Managing IFTA, IRP, and UCR During COVID-19

This could mean keeping bills of lading as well as other shipping documents. Because of the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 UCR official are soliciting states to postpone the application until July 1, 2020.


Leave a Reply