What is Abhyanga Massage Therapy?
Abhyanga Massage Therapy uses warm herbal oils to massage the body. Massage is performed in the direction that arterial blood flow. This massage improves blood circulation, reduces stiffness and pain, and helps with de-stressing. It can also correct energy (Dosha), and imbalances in the body.
What is Panchakarma Ayanga in Ayurveda and how does it work?
Abhyanga ayurvedic massage is done as a part of Panchakarma treatment. This is part of detoxification and cleansing. Abhyanga is an important preparatory step for Panchakarma treatment. To prepare the body for detoxification, Abhyanga is performed during the treatment. This massage helps to move toxins to the gastrointestinal tract, which facilitates their smooth elimination.
What are the different types of Abhyanga Ayurvedic Massage?
As part of Abhyanga massage, there are many types of massages. The massage is classified based on which body part it is being massaged. These are the types of Abhyanga:
- Sarvanga Abhyanga: A full body massage is performed for the whole body and is beneficial to the whole body.
- Shiro Abhyanga is a head massage. This massage is beneficial in relieving headaches and sinus problems.
- Ekanga Abhyanga is a massage that targets specific areas of the body to alleviate pain and stiffness.
- Pada Abhyanga is a foot massage that’s done for the feet and toes. This massage is used to relieve aching feet and other related issues.
- Oil massage for newborns: This oil massage can help improve their overall health and nourish their skin.
- Abhyanga postnatal massage: This Abhyanga Massage is for women who just had a baby. This massage can help restore your health after giving birth. Vata Dosha can be removed by this massage. This massage strengthens muscles and makes skin firmer.
An expert Ayurvedic masseur will usually perform an Abhyanga massage. This ensures the best possible results. You can also do Abhyanga at home for a self-massage. To improve your health, this can be done frequently. To reap the full benefits of Abhyanga, it is possible to have periodic Abhyanga massages at Ayurvedic spas.
What are the benefits of Abhyanga Massage?
Abhyanga massage offers many health benefits. These are the reasons Abhyanga massage is so popular. These benefits include:
- It is a great way to relax your mind and body. Abhyanga helps to relax muscles that are overworked or strained. It calms the mind and relieves tension and stress. It is a relaxing and effective treatment for depression.
- Studies have shown that Abhyanga can reduce blood pressure. Because of its positive effects on blood circulation, this is why it’s so popular.
- Abhyanga is a massage to the skin. It improves skin health. It can improve the texture and moisturize the skin. It can help with skin conditions like wrinkles, scarring, and signs of aging.
- A head massage can help improve scalp health. This can help with hair loss and encourage hair growth.
- People who suffer from back pain, muscle strain, and other related issues can feel relief from their aches and pains. It reduces stiffness.
- Abhyanga slows down the aging process. It aids in rejuvenation.
- Abhyanga is a great way to improve the functioning of your digestive system.
- It increases energy levels and physical strength. It improves mental agility, sleep cycles, and overall energy.
Oils used in Abhyanga massage
What is Abhyanga oil and how does it work?
The oil used in the massage is called abhyanga oil. It is mandatory to use oil during massage. Oil should be used warmly or lukewarm to achieve the best results.
What oils can be used specifically for Abhyanga
Abhyanga oil can only be used if the Dosha is affected.
- Sesame oil, Dhanwantharam Thailam, or sesame oil are often used in areas where Vata Dosha has been affected.
- If Pitta Dosha affects you, coconut oil or CHandanadi Thailam oil can be used.
- You can use mustard oil or Karpasasthyadi Thalam if Kapha Dosha has been affected.
The oil is infused with herbs to help the Dosha pacify for effective Abhyanga.
How to prepare for your home Abhyanga massage or self-massage
These tips will help you prepare to go to Abhyanga.
- Oil should be heated but not too hot.
- Use your fingertips to massage the areas you are interested in using the oil. Lightly massage the chest, neck, and abdomen as well as the eyes and face. Massage the arms and legs with long strokes.
- Use circular motions to massage the joints.
- Massage the abdomen towards your large intestine.
- After a 15-minute break, take a warm bath.
Book your Abhyanga massage appointment at Ayurvedagram
Abhyanga massage can be a powerful Ayurvedic treatment that can help you relax your mind as well as your body. Abhyanga can be used as part of a Panchakarma or separately. It has many health benefits. It improves your overall health, nourishes the tissues, and removes toxins. Abhyanga should be performed by a qualified masseuse, under the guidance of an Ayurvedic doctor. Ayurvedagram, a well-respected Ayurvedic center, offers Abhyanga Massage. To schedule an appointment, you can reach us at Ayurvedagram any time. The right type of massage will depend on your health conditions.