If you’re considering starting your own trucking business You’re likely in a state of confusion and overwhelmed about your IRP registration or licensing procedures which include those for the International Registration Plan (IRP). Let’s talk about what the IRP is and how to get registered, in order to begin to haul faster.
What is the IRP in Trucking?
There is an International Registration Plan (IRP) is a state registration that permits your truck to move between the United States, Washington D.C. and Canadian provinces. If you’re transporting cargo in any of these areas and also meet other vehicle requirements You’ll need IRP issued license plates as well as the taxi card.
What Is a Cab Card for Truckers?
A cab card is an legal document issued by the jurisdiction you reside in which identifies the jurisdiction in which the truck is legally permitted to move items within. The cab cards contain specific information about each truck , and can’t be transferred between vehicles.
The IRP Registration Process
You’ll have to call your home state or the place in the state where you’ve established an “Established Place of Business” to get your vehicle registered and to receive the plates attributed to your business and the cab card. Whichever state you started your trucking company is likely to be your home state. Find the contact details for your state within the IRP Directory and contact them to inquire about specific requirements and information for continuing your registration. Every state has its own rules, but all states must follow the guidelines below.
Documents Needed for Registration:
- Your state’s completed IRP application
- Documentation of your residency or an established establishment of your the business (such like copies of utility bills, or your property taxes)
- A current proof of insurance policy indicating the the limits in liability protection
- USDOT Number
- Federal Tax Identification Number
- Documentation of the payment of UCR fees
- Copy of the lease agreement (if you lease to an additional carrier)
- Copy of the completed Formula 2290 (Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Form)
- Registration current (if you renew)
When Do I Renew My IRP Registration?
IRP renewal depends on the state you’re registered in and the date you first signed up. The expiration date on your cab ticket It’s up to you to ensure that your IRP is current. In order to renew your IRP it is also necessary to track the miles you drive in every state since your prior year’s mileage within every state will determine your fee. Keep track of all activities, fuel purchases and mileage records of state for every truck each year. The reporting period is from July 1 through June 30 of the next year.
How Much Does IRP Registration Cost?
The fees can be wildly different and you should look at irponline.org for examples.
Who can Renew the International Registration Plan?
This means that you must be an occupant of your province or state and have a permanent location of business in that area. In all cases you have to provide proof. In addition the commercial vehicle must satisfy at least one of the below requirements:
- Are two axles with a the registered gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 26,001 pounds (11,794 kilograms) and more
- It must be an engine that has a minimum of three axles, regardless of the GVW.
- It is to be used when combined with a with a GVW of more than 26,001 pounds (11,794 kilograms) or greater
When and How Does IRP Renewal Work?
In all jurisdictions of the International Registration Plan that are members, renewing your membership in the International Registration Plan is an annual procedure. This is for you to have time to fill out, confirm, and then return prior to the date your account is due to expire.
For Texas IRP, however, you’ll need to mail your renewal application or go to at the IRP office personally.
If you plan to amend your application during renewal, you should include all required documentation to support the application. For instance, you’ll have to fill in:
- For International Registration Plan, Schedule B
- Schedule C for making modifications (additions or deletions) to an account that is already in place, as well as
- Schedule F that allows you to add the jurisdiction of an account already in place.
- Federal Schedule 1. For cars registered at 55,000 pounds (24948 kilograms) at or greater
Once you have paid you will receive IRP plates as well as an cab cad for every assigned truck within your fleet. Two identical license plates place on the rear and front of your vehicle. The card shows all the relevant information about your vehicle.
Since the introduction of the electronic credentials program taxi cards are no longer so important as they once were. A digital image on your tablet, smartphone or computer will help you in every instance when police come to your aid. So, ensure that it’s easy to access, understandable and clear regardless of size or format.