What You Should Do When Your Dog Swallows His Toy

Your dog might be the most adorable and lovable creature on the planet, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get into mischief now and again. Whether it’s chewing your favorite pair of shoes or swallowing his new squeaky toy whole, there you need to have some knowledge about dogs who swallow inappropriate items — including how to handle any potential emergencies.


Call your veterinarian


If your dog has swallowed a toy, take him to the vet as soon as possible. Call a 24 hour animal hospital and explain what happened. The vet will assess the situation and advise you on the next steps, including surgery or medications to help your pet pass its stomach contents.

The vet may recommend an x-ray to determine the size and location of the object and decide whether it is safe to attempt removal. If the object is too small for an x-ray to detect, they might need exploratory surgery to find it. Swallowed objects can cause serious injuries in dogs if they are not removed quickly, so if you’re concerned that your dog has swallowed something, don’t hesitate! Situations like these can be costly which is why its recommended to have pet insurance. 


Watch Your Dog Closely If the Toy Is Small. .


If you suspect your dog swallowed his toy, keep an eye on him until he vomits. If you see any signs that the toy is stuck in his throat—such as drooling, coughing, or choking—you should induce vomiting immediately by giving hydrogen peroxide orally (1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight).

If the toy has not come out of your dog’s system within 24 hours or if it is still lodged inside of them when you try to induce vomiting after 24 hours, call an emergency veterinarian immediately.

If you can see the toy in your dog’s mouth, remove it carefully so that he does not bite you. Call an emergency veterinarian if there are any signs of bleeding or infection around the wound, if your dog is repeatedly vomiting or has signs of dehydration, or if your dog cannot eat or drink independently.


Induce Vomiting If the Toy Is Stuck in Their Throat. .


As soon as you’re sure your dog has swallowed something, seek help from a veterinarian. If the toy is stuck in their throat, you must induce vomiting so they expel the item before it can damage their digestive tract or cause internal bleeding.

If your dog doesn’t vomit within 15 minutes of swallowing something, try giving them hydrogen peroxide (3% or 6%) by mouth at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight if they’re able to swallow it safely. Don’t give hydrogen peroxide if your dog is unconscious; consult with an animal hospital as soon as possible.

In addition to inducing vomiting and taking your dog for immediate medical attention should he swallow something dangerous or toxic, there are a few things not to do:

  • Please don’t give them milk (it can make more mucus in their stomach).
  • Don’t push on their belly (you could cause internal injuries).
  • Don’t induce diarrhea by giving them activated charcoal tablets (there’s no evidence suggesting this will work).


Keep Your Dog Calm and Quiet. .


The first step of the process is to keep him calm and quiet.

  • Keep your dog away from other pets. If the pet does not feel threatened, he may be more likely to eat his things openly and impulsively, which could lead to choking or blockage.
  • Do not let children approach the dog when it has swallowed its toy. They can be too rough with them, causing further damage if they don’t realize what’s going on in time. Additionally, young children might not understand how dangerous this situation can be for your pet — so you’ll need to keep them away until it’s safe again!
  • Avoid stairs and slippery surfaces as much as possible at this point; these things will only cause trouble if there are any complications during your search mission or while trying to remove whatever was swallowed by accident (which would make everything worse). Make their bed comfortable in order for them to be able get enough rest after dealing with a situation like this. 




If your dog has swallowed a toy, it is important to observe them closely for any signs of distress. If your dog is not in pain or showing other symptoms, such as vomiting or diarrhea, you may be able to wait until the next day before taking them to the vet. However, if there are any concerns about intestinal blockage or other serious issues, call an emergency animal hospital immediately. They can help assess the situation and advise on what actions should be taken next, including inducing vomiting if necessary.

Leave a Reply